R2N
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dungeon Crawl Design Ideas

2 posters

Go down

Dungeon Crawl Design Ideas Empty Dungeon Crawl Design Ideas

Post by John Grubber Tue 21 Mar 2017 - 21:33

I want to make a game for the kids and have figured out some of the things I like and want to implement to create a game that is well paced, easily played and has a shorter game time (Around 1 hour though could be longer.)

1. Tile Layout- Randm room, intersection and corridor tiles- i loved that in WH Quest, we didn't know what was coming.
2. Skill Check Dice Roll System- based around brain skills (ideas, solving a trap or finding a hidden door), or body skills (jumping, running, lifting/pushing something) and a difficulty level to roll against. (Difficult = 6, Moderate = 4-5, Easy = 1-3) I like the possibility of unexpected failure- good for a laugh. Being certain of character classes can give you a boost.
3. Combat- roll to hit/miss, enemy counter-rolls to block or take the hit. Damage is simple too- smaller creatures have less(1 HP), medium 3HP, large more (5HP?). Damage is 1d3 (magic items can add to that).
4. Declaration Phase round system- You declare that you are going to either move, perform a skill (Brain/Body Skill Check), attack, or rest. Each has pros and cons- skills could fail, movement could encounter an enemy, etc. Enemy does the same declaration, and both are revealed at the same time. I like the way x-wing does it.
5. Treasure- after searching or winning a battle, players choose x number of turned over counters as treasure, based on their size (small square counters = money or small items) large counters are for swords, or other things. A bit of counter/tile-picking fun.
6. Dashboard for players to track what character is holding/carrying, HP and spells.
7. Magic system based around points- you choose spells to 'learn' from your repertoire, and have a limited number of points to spend to use them. (Thanks Palladium!) Healers could have access to all their repertoire, but still have a mana point limit to spend using them.
8. Visually there are a few things i like- stand up figures and stand up doors. They just add a lot to a dungeon in my opinion.

Anyone with thoughts?

John Grubber

Back to top Go down

Dungeon Crawl Design Ideas Empty Re: Dungeon Crawl Design Ideas

Post by Hobb Fri 24 Mar 2017 - 13:46

Your thoughts are similar to mine: Warhammer for colorful visuals, Palladium for simpler rules.
Hobb
Hobb
Admin

Back to top Go down