R2N
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Massive Solar Flare

2 posters

Go down

Massive Solar Flare Empty Massive Solar Flare

Post by Reb Thu 7 Sep 2017 - 12:25

The sun had two massive solar flares yesterday. The second one being the largest in over a decade. Apparently it knocked out various radio transmissions, etc..

Might want to watch out for auroras!
Reb
Reb
Admin

https://roadtonowhere.forumotion.org

Back to top Go down

Massive Solar Flare Empty Re: Massive Solar Flare

Post by Hobb Thu 7 Sep 2017 - 18:43

Last night about 8pm (EST) the internet just went dead for an hour. I spent 30 minutes checking possible causes I couldn't find anything. I'd have to check the times but maybe it the was the flare messing with the satellite signals.

I had heard the solar flares peaks occur on a roughly 11 year cycle - but we are in an usual period

msn.com wrote:The X.9 flare is the biggest to be recorded in the current solar cycle—an 11 year period where the sun’s activity increases and decreases. At the moment, we are headed towards a solar minimum. This is the phase where eruptions from the sun become increasingly rare. The next solar minimum is expected at some point between 2019 and 2020.

But the last few solar cycle have been baffling scientists. Over the last solar minimum (in 2010), sunspots were almost completely absent for a period of two years—something that had not been recorded for almost 100 years.

A recent study of the last 30 years’ worth of data on the solar cycle indicates that the magnetic field distribution, where a lot of the magnetic activity is recorded, had become thinner in recent years. Scientists also found rotation rate of the sun has changed.

"This is not how it used to be and the rotation rate has slowed a bit at latitudes around about 60 degrees,” study author Yvonne Elsworth, from the University of Birmingham, U.K, said. “We are not quite sure what the consequences of this will be but it's clear that we are in unusual times."

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/sun-unleashes-biggest-solar-flare-for-over-a-decade-causing-radio-blackout/ar-AArrks2

30 years, or even a 100 years, of data about the Sun seems inconsequential, but it is interesting that we are doing it at all.
Hobb
Hobb
Admin

Back to top Go down