R2N
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Roommate

4 posters

Go down

New Roommate Empty New Roommate

Post by Steff Wed 1 Nov 2017 - 22:06

Rob & I discovered last weekend that a least weasel has moved in.  It likely has been living with us for a week or more as there were signs that it was around (ex. hard cat food spread like something was digging in it) although we generally thought it was the usual culprits - mice.

We first viewed the weasel last weekend when Slurry went to eat at the same time as it and the weasel squeaked loudly at Slurry. It is living in the walls and following the mouse tunnels so it will peak its head out of the ceiling by the fridge. It is in the midst of its color change which is triggered by the decrease in daylight. Some of the pictures below were taken with a camera while the others were taken with a trail camera. The weasel is not shy and extremely cute...

New Roommate Weasel10

New Roommate Weasel11

New Roommate Crop310

New Roommate Crop211

New Roommate Crop_110
Steff
Steff

Back to top Go down

New Roommate Empty Re: New Roommate

Post by Reb Thu 2 Nov 2017 - 10:34

It is adorable!

What is the plan for them? Are they staying or will they be encouraged to move to new location?
Reb
Reb
Admin

https://roadtonowhere.forumotion.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Steff Thu 2 Nov 2017 - 21:19

We left a door open for an afternoon when we first discovered the weasel.  I think we plan to leave it alone and hope that it deters mice from living in our home.  Reading online, one person stated he encouraged least weasels to stay in his cabins for the winter as it decreased the number of mouse traps he has to set and he had no issue with them.  On the trail cam I set up today I captured pics showing a mouse grabbing food from the cat food dish which shows that the weasel has more hunting to do...
Steff
Steff

Back to top Go down

Post by Reb Sun 5 Nov 2017 - 10:24

Where is the weasel living in the house?
Reb
Reb
Admin

https://roadtonowhere.forumotion.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Hobb Sun 5 Nov 2017 - 18:41

In the walls - sometimes it pokes it head out from a crack near the ceiling. I guess it lives where the mice (used to?) live.

Hobb
Hobb
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Wed 8 Nov 2017 - 20:51

Glad to see these pictures...and I agree he or she's extremely cute! I assume it will spend the winter with you, so many I'll see it some time I'm over...

Marc

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 25 Nov 2017 - 8:13

Marc Sudbury, you are right she/he looks really very cute and I think will enjoy winter in Steff house. LOL

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum