R2N
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Geological RoadTrip I - Key River to Parry Sound

Go down

A Geological RoadTrip I - Key River to Parry Sound Empty A Geological RoadTrip I - Key River to Parry Sound

Post by Hobb Mon 9 Sep 2019 - 18:36

Key River to Britt

Intermediate to Mafic Migmatitic Rocks: Multicomponent layered gneiss and migmatite, minor amphibolite

Britt to Harris Lake

Intrusive Rocks (Intermediate to Felsic): Weakly foliated to gneissic, grey hornblende-biotite granodiorite, locally potassium feldspar megacrystic, minor tonalite (with associated pink granite and grey granodiorite)
and a center patch of  'Unsubdivided pink and grey leucocratic gneiss'

Harris Lake to Point au Baril

Intrusive Rocks (Intermediate to Felsic): Grey, leucocratic, migmatitic hornblende-biotite-garnet orthogneiss of tonalitic to granodioritic composition

Point au Baril to Shawanga

Intrusive Rocks (Intermediate) - Weakly foliated to gneissic, grey tonalite with associated granodiorite and monzodiorite
Migmatitic Rocks - Grey, migmatitic, leucocratic hornblende-biotite orthogneiss of granodioritic to monzodioritic composition
Intrusive Rocks (Intermediate to Felsic) - Weakly foliated to gneissic, grey hornblende-biotite granodiorite, locally potassium feldspar megacrystic, minor tonalite (with associated pink granite and grey granodiorite)

Shawanga to Nobel

Migmatitic Rocks - Grey, migmatitic, tonalitic to granodioritic gneiss with varied amounts of pink leucosome

The Parry Sound formation

Right after Nobel -
Intermediate to Felsic Rocks: Grey, layered quartzofeldspathic gneiss containing hornblende, biotite, epidote

Portage Lake -
Felsic Intrusive Rocks: Pink, leucocratic granite, locally potassium feldspar megacrystic

then a few thins bands (that we will skip) leading to Downtown Parry Sound and its' waterfront -
 Mafic Rocks: Para-amphibolite, layered mafic gneiss, paragneiss and quartzite

Parry Sound (SouthEast) -
Mafic Intrusive Rocks, Anorthosite Suite: Anorthosite, gabbroic anorthosite, minor gabbro

Seguin Bridge -  
Intermediate to Felsic Granulites (layered): Unsubdivided, buff to grey weathering, layered, feldspathic granulite

After the Seguin Bridge the highway splits into 69 and 400 and the 400 leads off the geological map where it re-merges with 69. Luckily most of the mapped area is either ' Intermediate to Felsic Granulites' or 'Intermediate to Felsic Granulites (layered)' so this likely the material the highway was carved through. The map returns at Horseshoe Lake...

Last edited by Hobb on Sat 14 Sep 2019 - 23:16; edited 4 times in total
Hobb
Hobb
Admin

Back to top Go down

A Geological RoadTrip I - Key River to Parry Sound Empty Re: A Geological RoadTrip I - Key River to Parry Sound

Post by Hobb Mon 9 Sep 2019 - 19:54

If the above is mostly gibberish, it is to me too.
R2N is my electronic notebook.
The miracle of notebooks is that can sometimes they can be the vessel to transmute gibberish into knowledge.

I'll start with the proposition that 'Every rock is gneiss or granite' - that way anything else seems more exotic....

Glossary

Intrusive, or plutonic, igneous rocks form when magma cools slowly below the Earth's surface, the magma penetrates existing rock, crystallizes and solidifies underground to form intrusions.
Migmatite is rock that is a mixture of metamorphic rock and igneous rock created when a metamorphic rock such as gneiss partially melts, and then that melt recrystallizes into an igneous rock, creating a mixture of the unmelted metamorphic part with the recrystallized igneous part.

Gneiss is formed by high temperature and pressure metamorphic processes acting on formations of igneous or sedimentary rocks. Orthogneiss is derived from igneous rock (such as granite).
Gneissic: dark/light-banded metamorphic rock, some bands being rich in feldspar and quartz, others rich in hornblende or mica.
Foliation in geology refers to repetitive layering in metamorphic rocks. Each layer can be as thin as a sheet of paper, or over a meter in thickness.

Felsic refers to igneous rocks that are relatively rich in elements that form feldspar and quartz. Leucocratic; Light-colored; applied to igneous rocks that are relatively poor in mafic minerals.
Mafic rocks, which are relatively richer in magnesium and iron.

Hornblende-biotite granodiorite:  Coarse-grained ("plutonic") crystalline igneous granitoid
Hornblende is a field name used for a group of dark-colored amphibole minerals found in many types of igneous and metamorphic rocks.
Biotite is a name used for a large group of black mica minerals that are commonly found in igneous and metamorphic rocks.
Monzonite is a granular/plutonic igneous rock (equal amounts of orthoclase and plagioclase)
Gabbro is a dark (coarse-grained), mafic intrusive igneous rock formed from the slow cooling of magnesium-rich and iron-rich magma
Anorthosite is a calcium-rich (coarse-grained) intrusive igneous rock characterized by its mostly feldspar (90–100%), minimal mafic (0–10%) composition.

Last edited by Hobb on Mon 9 Sep 2019 - 21:31; edited 2 times in total
Hobb
Hobb
Admin

Back to top Go down

A Geological RoadTrip I - Key River to Parry Sound Empty Re: A Geological RoadTrip I - Key River to Parry Sound

Post by Hobb Mon 9 Sep 2019 - 20:53

Key River to Britt
Iron-rich, coarse-grained mixture of unmelted and recrystallized rock: Heavily-layered remelted gneiss, some dark metamorphic rocks.

Britt to Harris Lake
Former Volcanic Intrusion (high quartz content):  Weakly to heavily banded, coarse-grained grey granite, some dotted with feldspar megacrystal (with associated pink and grey granite). A center patch of ?unsubdivided? pink/grey folded gneiss.

Harris Lake to Point au Baril
Former Volcanic Intrusion (high quartz content): Grey, coarse-grained mixture of unmelted and recrystallized rock (hornblende_biotite-garnet = black and red?).

Point au Baril to Shawanga River Bridge
Former Volcanic Intrusion (quartz content) - Weakly to heavily-banded grey igneous rock with associated white granite (tonalite).
Mixture of unmelted and recrystallized Rocks - Grey/Black granite
Sedimentary rock that was reburied and recrystalized - Grey mixture of unmelted and recrystallized garnet-mica, locally with aluminosilicate; pink quartz may contain garnet or magnetite

Shawanga River Bridge to Nobel
Intrusive Rocks (high quartz content) - Weakly to heavily-banded, grey/black granite, some dotted with feldspar megacrystals (& associated pink and grey granite).
Mixture of unmelted and recrystallized Rocks - Grey-white rock and pink/quartz rock

The Parry Sound formation
Right after Nobel -
Quartz: Grey, layered quartz containing black hornblende/biotite mica and yellow-green epidote

Portage Lake -
Former Volcanic Intrusion (very high quartz content): Pink quartz granite, some dotted with feldspar megacrystals

then a few thins bands (that we will skip) leading to Downtown Parry Sound and its' waterfront -
Iron Rocks: Black, layered iron gneiss and quartz

Parry Sound (SouthEast) -
Former Volcanic Intrusion (iron content with chunks of pure feldspar): ?Iron-rich feldspar?

Seguin Bridge -  
Layered Granulites (iron content): Unsubdivided, buff to grey weathering, layered, feldspathic metamorphic rock
Hobb
Hobb
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down