R2N
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Paul Winter Consort

2 posters

Go down

Paul Winter Consort Empty Paul Winter Consort

Post by Marc Sun 19 Apr 2020 - 10:26

In recently sampling some more Hearts of Space programs, I came across a piece of music from program no. 12 "Beyond the Blues," that featured some sweet saxophone and piano in it.  Little did I know that Paul Winter (soprano saxophonist) was quite a ground-breaking musician who is known as a pioneer of world music and responsible for the genre of earth music.

The piece of music I was referring to in Beyond the Blues, was this one:

Marc

Back to top Go down

Paul Winter Consort Empty Re: Paul Winter Consort

Post by Hobb Mon 20 Apr 2020 - 15:34

I really enjoy the early episodes and this one dates back to 1983.  
The forecast is for rain tonight so I'll listen to Paul Winter with it.

PGM 012 : "BEYOND THE BLUES"
=--------------------------------------------------------------------=
  PGM NOTE :
  FEED DATE : 3/16/1983

VANGELIS
Abraham's Theme < 0:00->3:18 >
 : 'CHARIOTS OF FIRE' soundtrack; Polydor 800-020-Z; 1981

PAUL WINTER
Seal Eyes < 3:18->9:44 >
Blues Cathedral < 9:44->19:50 >
 : CALLINGS; Living Music LMR-1

VANGELIS
Blade Runner Blues < 19:50->23:10 >
 : 'BLADERUNNER' soundtrack; Warner Music UK 82623-2; 1994 (???)

HOVHANESS
Op.200 for Trumpet and Organ < 23:10->29:14 >
 : MUSIC FOR TRUMPET AND ORGAN, OP. 200; Redwood ES-2

CHARLES IVES
The Unanswered Question < 29:14->35:00 >
 : BERNSTEIN CONDUCTS IVES

Alan Hovhaness
Excerpts from Movements 3, 7, 9 (excerpts) < 35:00->46:48 >
 : Majnun Symphony; Crystal CD803

IASOS
Angels of Comfort < 46:48->55:48 >
 : VIBRATIONAL ENVIRONMENTS NO.1; Angelic Music

VANGELIS
Abraham's Theme < 55:48->58:55 >
 : 'CHARIOTS OF FIRE' soundtrack; Polydor 800-020-Z; 1981

The whole Vangelis soundtrack for Bladerunner (1982) is very noir/bluesy and also worth checking out.
Hobb
Hobb
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hobb Mon 20 Apr 2020 - 21:03

I would have never guessed that the strange 'howls' in this song were from seals. Question Exclamation
I had once wondered if they were chair scrapes or some distorted dog/wolf howl ... and I guess both dogs and seal are both part of the canine-side of the carnivora family...

Hobb
Hobb
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Mon 20 Apr 2020 - 22:31

I saw wolves and polar bear listed as two of the animals featured on this album - so when I heard the seals, I would have assumed it was the wolves. I'm curious about hearing what the polar bear recordings are like!

From the Paul Winter Consort youtube page from the link...

"Inspired by the imaginary journey of a mythic sea lion pup, CALLINGS is the result of three years of research and expeditions by Paul Winter to observe, listen to, and occasionally play his saxophone with sea mammals. His research expeditions for the project took him to Newfoundland, British Columbia, Scotland’s Inner Hebrides, the California coastal islands, San Salvador in the Bahamas, and twice again to Magdalena Island in Baja, California. This musical celebration of the sea interweaves the voices of: California sea lion, harp seal, bearded seal, fur seal, sea otter, dolphin, blue whale, humpback whale, beluga, bowhead whale, walrus, polar bear. The album helped initiate a successful campaign to have Congress designate March 1st each year as “International Day of the Seal.”"

℗ 1980 Earth Music Productions

Marc

Back to top Go down

Post by Hobb Tue 21 Apr 2020 - 0:01

"expeditions by Paul Winter to observe, listen to, and occasionally play his saxophone with sea mammals." Quite a selection of sea mammal voices to jam with too.

The piano on the opening song is very iconic and there are whale-like sounds....

And the deep 'bass' on “Blues' Cathedral” is out-of-control. I'm not sure what instrument that is

Hobb
Hobb
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Tue 21 Apr 2020 - 16:41

You chose my most favourite Vangelis piece of music - and in Chariots of Fire, its use appears with one of the most tense scenes of the film. I found it quite impressive, but then I also loved the film.

Marc

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Tue 21 Apr 2020 - 16:48

You weren't kidding about the bass in Blue's Cathedral!!

Marc

Back to top Go down

Post by Hobb Wed 22 Apr 2020 - 16:31

wikipedia wrote:The Consort appeared on many of Winter's projects throughout the 1980s. With their new lineup of Paul Winter on soprano saxophone, Nancy Rumbel on oboe and English horn, Paul Halley on piano and organ, ground-breaking jazz cellist Eugene Friesen, Jim Scott on guitars, and world percussionist Ted Moore, the Consort recorded Winter's album Callings, which further examined the possibility of creating music with wildlife.

It must be that cello that give that bass.
Hobb
Hobb
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Wed 22 Apr 2020 - 23:10

I was curious if an oboe or english horn could have a note as low as that bass...then I tried a few seconds of this low cello and had no doubt you suspected right:

Marc

Back to top Go down

Post by Hobb Thu 23 Apr 2020 - 22:11

I guess it's time to re-listen to #15 Cello Deeps... one of personal favorites....
Hobb
Hobb
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Sat 25 Apr 2020 - 18:57

Just glanced back at this stream of posts and noticed something I missed earlier...Vangelis did the soundtrack to Bladerunner??

Marc

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Sat 25 Apr 2020 - 20:11

You know it's been too long since seeing a film when...

If I'd seen Blade Runner in the last several years, I might have known that the music I was hearing was Vangelis - especially in certain cases where I'm hearing something along the lines of Chariots of Fire music.  Recently, from listening to Beyond Baroque, or definitely a HoS program, Stephen Hill mentions that in the 1973 Film L'Apocalypse des Animaux, you can hear the music that led Vangelis to Chariots of Fire.  He recorded the soundtrack for L'Apocalypse des Animaux in 1970.

Marc

Back to top Go down

Post by Hobb Tue 28 Apr 2020 - 13:48

Some of the best scenes of Bladerunner are the aerial shots over the city as Vangelis' score ebbs and wanes.
Here is that opening scene

Blade Runner is a both a 'noir' SF film and Vangelis soundtrack does a great job of making his soaring synths brood and mixing them with bluesy sounds you wouldn't think they mix with. I beginning to realize that mixture - organically blending synths and traditional music - is a trademark of some of my favorite HOS programs (Beyond Baroque, Beyond Blues).

Paul Winter Consort Studiovangelis

https://www.vulture.com/2017/10/how-vangelis-cult-blade-runner-score-became-a-classic.html wrote:Vangelis’s Blade Runner music became a lodestar, marking a course open to individual interpretation. So, young British electronic composers saddled up to the analog ambience and knowing artificial playfulness of Vangelis’s deep trove of synth banks; Detroit’s techno rebels gravitated toward his symphonic, mechanized dread, while armies of experimental producers jocked his mix of sonic textures and juxtapositions. By 2008, when Massive Attack and the Heritage Orchestra collaborated on a live performance of the score at London’s Meltdown Festival, Vangelis’s Blade Runner felt as much a part of the 20th-century electronic canon as various Philip Glass and Steve Reich pieces, its restless genius still searching for more life.

The myth and majesty of Vangelis’ timeless Blade Runner soundtrack:
Hobb
Hobb
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hobb Tue 28 Apr 2020 - 13:50

Some of the best scenes of Bladerunner are the aerial shots over the city as Vangelis' score ebbs and wanes.
Here is that opening scene

Blade Runner is a both a 'noir' SF film and Vangelis soundtrack does a great job of making his soaring synths brood and mixing them with bluesy sounds you wouldn't think they mix with.  I beginning to realize that mixture - organically blending synths and traditional music -  is a trademark of some of my favorite HOS programs (Beyond Baroque, Beyond Blues).

Paul Winter Consort Studiovangelis

https://www.vulture.com/2017/10/how-vangelis-cult-blade-runner-score-became-a-classic.html wrote:Vangelis’s Blade Runner music became a lodestar, marking a course open to individual interpretation. So, young British electronic composers saddled up to the analog ambience and knowing artificial playfulness of Vangelis’s deep trove of synth banks; Detroit’s techno rebels gravitated toward his symphonic, mechanized dread, while armies of experimental producers jocked his mix of sonic textures and juxtapositions. By 2008, when Massive Attack and the Heritage Orchestra collaborated on a live performance of the score at London’s Meltdown Festival, Vangelis’s Blade Runner felt as much a part of the 20th-century electronic canon as various Philip Glass and Steve Reich pieces, its restless genius still searching for more life.

The myth and majesty of Vangelis’ timeless Blade Runner soundtrack:
Hobb
Hobb
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down