R2N
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Must have been an ICI Musique note...

2 posters

Go down

Must have been an ICI Musique note... Empty Must have been an ICI Musique note...

Post by Marc Tue 5 May 2020 - 0:19

Found this written out on a scrap of paper.  In looking it up, I wasn't expecting it to have anything to do with hip hop or to have been a song sampled many times over.  Looks as though this piece of music was recorded in '74. ICI Musique plays jazz on late afternoons/evenings during the week - that's why the title...

Marc

Back to top Go down

Must have been an ICI Musique note... Empty Re: Must have been an ICI Musique note...

Post by Marc Tue 5 May 2020 - 0:24

And on that same scrap of paper...

Marc

Back to top Go down

Must have been an ICI Musique note... Empty Re: Must have been an ICI Musique note...

Post by Marc Tue 5 May 2020 - 0:30

well, as soon as I saw that he did a version of this...

Marc

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Tue 5 May 2020 - 0:50

One final piece, from where I started.  Chick Corea's name takes me back to George Winston and Windham Hill collaborations quite some years' back.  Couldn't have said I knew that his (or his and Gary Burton's) legacy, goes much further back than that.

Marc

Back to top Go down

Post by Hobb Tue 5 May 2020 - 12:47

Thanks for the selection.

1974 - Launched as Le FM de Radio-Canada with stations in Montreal, Ottawa, Quebec City and Chicoutimi.
1997 - The network was rebranded as La chaîne culturelle ("The cultural network")
August 2004 - the network did not have any name, at least officially
September 2004 - Rebranded as Espace musique in September 2004. High-brow cultural programs were moved to Première Chaîne, while the Espace musique adopted a more populist approach focusing on four genres – classical, jazz, world, and folk music – and French-language song.
2013 - re-branded as Ici Musique as part of a wider re-branding of the CBC's French-language outlets around the brand "Ici".
April 2014 - due to further CBC budget cuts Ici's regional programming (namely Beau temps, mauvais temps on weekday mornings) was cancelled  and the ICI Musique network feed became a retransmission of CBFX in Montreal

So the Bob James song is as old as the Radio Station, and this station was called 'Espace Musique' between 2004 and 2014.

Now to listen to the music....
Hobb
Hobb
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hobb Tue 5 May 2020 - 13:32

• Bob James' “Nautilus” went down so smooth I had to play it again to hear it ... and I heard the sample!  It's from 'Daytona 500' by Ghostface Killah (I listened to because it was on the torrent '200 Tracks Of The 90s Pitchfork Media').

• 'The Prophet is a Fool' took me back to the late 90s/early 2000s trip-hop - but then reading about the song took me right back to the pit of right-wing whining that defines the last few years. Mehldau had to write an essay defending his song against all their reactionary Facebook complaining because he dared suggest Trump, gun violence & xenophobia were connected.
    https://www.nonesuch.com/journal/note-brad-mehldau-the-prophet-is-a-fool-2019-05-31

• 'Teardrop' caught me off-guard - wait, I know this! what is it? It took my brain a minute to recognize the piano instrumental from Massive Attack. He almost goes into atonal Philip Glass territory for half the song but does return to a slightly fractured reprise of the chorus at the end.

• Corea & Burton - I couldn't understand the sheer complexity of the xylophone sounds, until I watched the video and saw two padded sticks  per hand.

Here is the Bob James sample... I surprised how recognizable those few notes are...
Hobb
Hobb
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Tue 5 May 2020 - 23:55

Yeah, that sample is pretty quickly recognizable, and I only listened to Bob James the one time last night.

Funny you should mention Espace Musique. The name instantly brought me back to travelling through Quebec in the Fall of 2013. Even then, it quickly became my favourite radio station option while on my road trip, as ICI Musique is now, here at home. I like the fact that even if I don't understand much of what they're saying, it is helping me keep some of my French language and maybe unconsciously teaching me more than I realize.

I've been tuning in more, in recent days, to CKLU. I'd often forgotten about it until several times hearing it at Reb's place. Just this afternoon, I found myself listening to it - while doing yard work and breaking down pallets - and writing down at least 3 pieces of music I'd like to hear again/share. It's similar to my collecting of skid wood, collecting all sorts of artists and songs on paper. It's definitely like second nature to be ready to write down a song/artist/key words...but then, I've long been used to having paper and pen handy when listening to something someone else mixed that I've never heard before.

For the Chick Corea/Gary Burton songs, they were both impressive musicians! How fast Chick's runs were being played on the piano, while his hand seemed totally relaxed, seemed rather unreal to me. And Gary's speed and precision was also something to behold.

Marc

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Tue 5 May 2020 - 23:59

As for Brad Mehldau, this was my introduction to his music:  

(And thanks for putting up the link...I will check that out!)

Marc

Back to top Go down

Must have been an ICI Musique note... Empty P'tit Belliveau - Income Tax

Post by Marc Fri 15 May 2020 - 16:00

This catchy piece was on ICI Musique the other day.  This song I'd have to be in the mood for, but there's something about it that's irresistible to me, without defining exactly what it is.  Without studying the French lyrics, I get the feeling the song's got a fun fatalistic/rebellious tone to it.  The video notes include a glossary - I'm assuming for regional/slang words and phrases.

Marc

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum