R2N
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Barney Miller theme

2 posters

Go down

Barney Miller theme Empty Barney Miller theme

Post by Hobb Tue 12 May 2020 - 12:06

Composed by the veteran song-writing team of Jack Elliott and Allyn Ferguson

Dan Ferguson (guitar), Allyn Ferguson (electric piano), Chuck Berghofer (bass), Paul Humphrey (drums) and Chuck Findley (trumpet).

There were different musicians on sessions for: first year’s theme, second year’s theme, and the 45 rpm record. Trumpet on this first year’s theme was Gary Barone, later to become Chuck Findley for all others. David Foster played keyboards on the single (released on our Feel Records), but it was Allyn, who actually played keyboards on all TV sessions! Sol Gubin on drums here, and after that, was Paul Humphreys.

There may have been 3-4 different versions for all 8 seasons - some people suggest that all those versions were recorded in "2 early sessions", others say that "union rules" stipulated that themes have to be re-recorded annually to ensure income for the musicians.

Apparently inspired by a song from James Taylor's 'Walking Man' record (1974) that bass player, Chuck Berghofer, had been listening to, people suggest that "Rock And Roll Is Music Now" has "a ride out with a climbing bass line similar to the Barney lick."

When you heard that funky solo bass line, you knew what you were in for! Jack Elliott and Allyn Ferguson‘s Barney Miller theme has all the elements of the show in that opening line and then, as soon as you get into the groove, all hell breaks loose with that trumpet. It’s hip, cornball AND nostalgic all at the same time.

quotes wrote:I used to be in a band that would open the show with the Barney Miller theme. It was the bassist's idea, of course, so I worked out all the guitar parts & leads note-for-note, as well as all the boards parts and horn parts on guitar. It went over great with people born between 1946-1976. You could see all the frowns and tilted heads in the audience of those who didn't get it and you just knew those people were too young to remember the show.

quotes wrote:    This particular song brings back a great memory of a very special teacher I had when I played Bass in our High School Jazz Band. I'd start to play the opening riff, but it and it used to drive my music teacher nuts because the rest of my jazz-band classmates loved it so much that our rhythm section would start jamming it out, then the keys and brass section would kick in and he'd just stand there and shake his head at us. He hated when we played anything without sheet music...LOL. He was one of the nicest and most inspirational music teachers and people I ever met. But cancer took him shortly after I graduated. He was just 40. He's the one that pushed me to write music and perform it at our Winter Concerts. Over 40 years later there's not a day that goes by that I don't thank him for doing that...as I still play and write.
Hobb
Hobb
Admin

Back to top Go down

Barney Miller theme Empty Re: Barney Miller theme

Post by Marc Wed 13 May 2020 - 1:21

Some great quotes to go along with that history!

For the theme song, I couldn't even have told you that there were keyboards in it, past the initial couple of longer notes - just before the lead guitar comes in.  It's all about that bass and then lead guitar and trumpet take flight.  But the sax in this version takes me back to intro Simpson's jazz improvisation glory!  Drums are very smooth.  Would be great to be able to drum like that!

Marc

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Wed 13 May 2020 - 1:25

Well, if we're gonna talk bass, trumpet, drums, sax, smooth piano and a jazz piece...this one's right up there for me:

Marc

Back to top Go down

Post by Hobb Thu 14 May 2020 - 21:43

Cornbread is a classic you introduced me to.

Herbie Hancock's "Chameleon" from the 1973 album Head Hunters has always reminded me of Barney Miller theme.  
I heard the whole album on a 'PitchFork Top 100 albums of the 70s' and it became one of my favorites.

https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/herbie-hancock-head-hunters/ wrote:In 1973, Herbie Hancock, a virtuosic jazz dissident, stomped out an entire history of sound when he walked out a bassline on a modular synthesizer.

This has to be the earliest early synth to be funky. There had been classical synth, pop synth, experimental synth, even country synth ('Switched On Nashville' in 1972), but nothing like sheer funkiness of Hancock's record. Tonto's Expanding Head Band's 'Zero Time' in 1971 is the next closest but it all synthesizers.

Here's the whole album - the way I first experienced it:

'Vein Melter' is soft and leisurely jazz, 'Sly' is fast-paced jazz and Watermelon Man always makes me smile Very Happy

Last edited by Hobb on Thu 14 May 2020 - 22:21; edited 1 time in total
Hobb
Hobb
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hobb Thu 14 May 2020 - 22:17

https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/herbie-hancock-head-hunters/ wrote:A year before Hancock plunked out that bassline, his woodwind player, Bennie Maupin, sat among the sold-out crowd at Los Angeles Coliseum for Wattstax, a 1972 benefit concert sometimes referred to as “Black Woodstock.”

Tributaries of jazz history flowed through Maupin, who had played with hard bop greats like Lee Morgan and avant-garde pioneers like Pharoah Sanders in the previous decade. But at Wattstax, he was tapping into a broader, more popular, more body-focused black experience.

As the bands grooved to soul, R&B, and funk onstage, Maupin watched a group of young kids dancing the funky robot, popping and locking their joints at right angles. “I just started to hear in my mind melodies centered around that kind of movement,” Maupin later said. The melody: two little hitches, a staccato double-tap, followed by a bluesy riff down a minor pentatonic scale.

The music Hancock was plotting, like the melody Maupin imagined, drew from the politics of the Watts Riots and Black Nationalism and the counterculture, but also the beat, the one, the groove that made kids want to free their mind and dance.

When the concert let out, Maupin brought his riff idea based on the funky robot back to Hancock at a rehearsal space in Los Angeles, where he fed it to the newly assembled Head Hunters lineup.

Maupin didn’t use the woozy timbre of the bass clarinet but rather the gritty R&B sound of the tenor sax. The upheaval of avant-garde and the donning of funk all poured into “Chameleon,” an indefatigable 15-minute track that staked a new epoch for jazz the minute Hancock plunked out its bassline. Nothing was what it seemed: the bassline was a synth; the guitar-sounding riff was a bass, played by Bay Area funk stylist Paul Jackson in the altissimo register. Hancock plays his clavinet like Hendrix comping time with a wah-wah pedal. The in-demand R&B session drummer Harvey Mason plays in a straight-eighth funk feel, like Clyde Stubblefield did behind James Brown. “Chameleon” slid in and out of the downbeat of ’70s funk, the looseness of cool jazz, the musical modes of R&B, all while drawing upon the rhythms of Anlo-Ewe and Afro-Cuban drumming, black counterculture, and the vanguard of modular synthesizers.

All this blending of traditional instruments and technology, of black American and African sound, was reflected on the album’s cover: Next to Maupin, there’s Jackson holding a Fender bass; Mason clutching a snare; a virtually unknown percussionist from the Bay Area, Bill Summers, holding gourd rattles. Front and center is Hancock, his face covered with something resembling the ritual kple kple mask worn by the Baoulé people of the Ivory Coast—the eyes, however, are radio knobs, and the mouth is a VU meter, an electronic tool for measuring loudness.

Wow! I had no idea where this music came from nor could I tell what instrument they were playing it. It is strange how much cultural richness can go into a song and it is even stranger that some of that richness can be imparted to a complete stranger.

Barney Miller theme R-5566665-1405078732-5731.jpeg

Barney Miller theme R-5566665-1405078734-7256.jpeg
Hobb
Hobb
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hobb Thu 14 May 2020 - 22:27

???:
Hobb
Hobb
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Fri 15 May 2020 - 2:09

Think I was about 40 seconds into Chameleon and firmly hooked in.  I let it move through me while I read the article further.  I learned some time back that Hancock was greater musically than I initially gave him credit for.  It usually happens to me when I find other musicians are praising their work.  But since I never looked into his music much, I'll thank you for posting!

I like the tie-in with "...hard bop greats like Lee Morgan..."  Chameleon reminds me of 70's film.  Maybe there was so much funk used in film and TV during the 70's, I probably couldn't help but feel that...and maybe that's partly (besides just the bassline) why the Barney Miller theme fits in with Chameleon so well?

A prime example of a 70's film theme song - stuck deep in my head since I was 8 years old:

Marc

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down