R2N
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

C'est si Bon!

2 posters

Go down

C'est si Bon! Empty C'est si Bon!

Post by Marc Sun 24 May 2020 - 1:10

On Saturday afternoons on ICI Musique, I have come to love a program called C'est si Bon.  Over the years, it has re-connected me with some great music of old - some of which my nearly 80-yr old stepmom says is of her mother's era.  I've also noticed that, especially in the last year or so, they will mix in some classic songs which are not that old or more current pieces of music - say, for example, Tony Bennett and KD Lang doing Dream a Little Dream of Me (heard today).  

Much of their music is crooner-type songs that Frank Sinatra or Patsy Cline might sing or jazz/big band/film score/show tunes, but I thought I would post a few I heard in today's program - during the 30 or 40 minutes I caught of it - to show some of the variety in the program.  

The show starts at 4pm and goes until 7pm every Saturday, but I have, at least once, also heard it played on a Sunday at the same time - on a Monday Holiday long weekend.

I can't say I always worry about catching the show, or anywhere near all of it, but why I often try to catch at least a bit of it, is for its re-introducing me to a piece of music I always liked, but never recalled and/or hadn't heard in years.  This first song is a prime example of that.

And since we recently spoke of what music might be around in a hundred years...I feel safe in saying this one will last well beyond 2031 (the year it turns 100):

From 1939, an instant hit that was inducted into the Grammy Hall of Fame in 1991, this one should easily be around for a few hundred years.

But a smooth and sweet Memphis Slim (1951) blues song I heard today, I don't recall ever hearing before (some cover version, female vocalist in today's case) really won me over:

Marc

Back to top Go down

C'est si Bon! Empty Re: C'est si Bon!

Post by Hobb Sun 24 May 2020 - 1:25

Thinking of future cultures that appreciate this music is hopeful.

Here is Tom Petty & Dave Stewart

Last edited by Hobb on Sun 24 May 2020 - 2:02; edited 1 time in total
Hobb
Hobb
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Sun 24 May 2020 - 1:44

I don't hold out much hope for future cultures...but like to believe that some of this music will somehow reach our grandchildren's grandchildren.

Marc

Back to top Go down

Post by Hobb Sun 24 May 2020 - 2:10

These are choice picks. Once youtube 'autoplays' you into modern Glenn Miller cover bands it gets pretty bad and makes you appreciate how good the first songs really are.
Hobb
Hobb
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum