R2N
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Getting to Ernest Ranglin in a roundabout way...

3 posters

Go down

Getting to Ernest Ranglin in a roundabout way... Empty Getting to Ernest Ranglin in a roundabout way...

Post by Marc Sat 6 Jun 2020 - 3:39

One evening this week, I found myself driving on the 69/17 bypass listening to a song on CBC2 called Everybody Loves the Sunshine, the title song of a '76 album by Roy Ayers.  He seemed to be one of those musicians that was known for a particular album, or sound, or for being otherwise recognized in the world of music (jazz, in this case).

While I haven't initially been particularly moved by his music, I respect the fact that he is well received and respected by many, and impressed by the fact that he was still playing into his late 70s, seemingly having a great time.  I didn't watch the entire performance, but appreciated the talent of the musicians, including Roy, but especially the keyboardist.

Somehow, probably upon looking Roy up, I found Ernest Ranglin.  He is yet another example of someone long respected for their contribution to music, and in this case, ska, guitar work AND jazz.  He's also a musician playing to a ripe old age (he was 82 in this 2014 video).  The band he plays with in this tiny desk concert is called Avila.  I particularly fell in love with the last piece of music in the performance (around 11-1/2min) called Avila (Oscar's Song).  The piano in this song melts me, but I also thoroughly enjoyed Ernest's guitar work.

Marc

Back to top Go down

Getting to Ernest Ranglin in a roundabout way... Empty Re: Getting to Ernest Ranglin in a roundabout way...

Post by Reb Mon 8 Jun 2020 - 20:06

The piano is nice. I think it's in C sharp and and F sharp but I don't know minor or major. It sounds like a minor progresion maybe?
Reb
Reb
Admin

https://roadtonowhere.forumotion.org

Back to top Go down

Getting to Ernest Ranglin in a roundabout way... Empty Re: Getting to Ernest Ranglin in a roundabout way...

Post by Hobb Mon 8 Jun 2020 - 20:54

There was a moment during Avila where I realized I'll miss R2N when it is gone...
Hobb
Hobb
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Mon 8 Jun 2020 - 22:12

I haven't tried to find the key, or play along on piano with Avila, but certainly noticed that a lot of flat keys were being utilized and I likely couldn't use the sextet harmonica along with the song - with all of them on it being major keys.

Is R2N going somewhere soon, or was that comment more about one day when we aren't any longer using it?

Marc

Back to top Go down

Post by Hobb Mon 8 Jun 2020 - 22:25

A little of both.

I'm looking to move the 'Woolsey' parts of R2N to another format and server and I have been pondering the fate of R2N.
Pure Melancholia.
Some great music, some old friends and memorial, and a diary that got me through some dark times.

I'm listening to it again right now and I'm feeling the same emotions. it's close to 'maggot brain'...
Hobb
Hobb
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Tue 9 Jun 2020 - 1:28

It's been great to enjoy more posts and links or posting on here, especially in the last, maybe year for me. Just last night I finished the article on the Australian coup, then found myself watching half of the film Year Zero: The Silent Death of Cambodia that John Pilger did in 1979.

Marc

Back to top Go down

Post by Hobb Tue 9 Jun 2020 - 16:53

I've really enjoyed having you on R2N, Marc.

Here is an ad-blocker for Chrome to make the experience better:
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/adblock-%E2%80%94-best-ad-blocker/gighmmpiobklfepjocnamgkkbiglidom

It is inspiring to realize Pilger's being doing great investigative reporting the whole of my lifespan.
I've been using his research for nearly half my life.

Getting to Ernest Ranglin in a roundabout way... DkvrKwOW0AExwVO?format=jpg&name=small

I came to a similar idea after teaching 'media ethics' for a bit:
If a reporter isn't a spy for the people, they are propagandists for the elites.
Hobb
Hobb
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Wed 10 Jun 2020 - 2:57

Thanks!

And thanks for the link to adblock.  I believe it is installed, so I will look forward to seeing if it is working to block most of the ads I normally get.  But, as is often the case...it's late when I get on here to check in, and I should be getting offline and onbed.  Wink

Nice quote.  I did hear or see that the donations to Cambodia that followed from school children and people who were exposed to Year Zero were phenomenal.  Great job, Mr. Pilger!

Marc

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum