R2N
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Monster in the Mirror (1997)

2 posters

Go down

Monster in the Mirror (1997) Empty Monster in the Mirror (1997)

Post by Hobb Sun 14 Jun 2020 - 0:36

Then I smiled at him and thanked him for the song that we had shared
Well, the monster thanked me too, he smiled right back

Steph says the open of that song always reminds her of......

Hobb
Hobb
Admin

Back to top Go down

Monster in the Mirror (1997) Empty Re: Monster in the Mirror (1997)

Post by Hobb Sun 14 Jun 2020 - 0:48

The "song" starts as 5:20. It's not much of a song but it has the same message as 'Monster in the Mirror'.
It's another song that the monsters have shared with humanity...
Wise monsters...
Hobb
Hobb
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Sun 14 Jun 2020 - 2:31

Fred Rogers:  ...And this is what.  This is what I give.  I give an expression of care every day to each child.  To help him realize that he is unique.  I end the program by saying "you've made this day a special day by just your being you.  There's no person in the whole world like you.  And I like you just the way you are."  And I feel that if we in public television can only make it clear that feelings are mentionable and manageable, we will have done a great service for mental health.  Uh, I think that it's much more dramatic that two men could be working out their feelings of anger.  Much more dramatic than showing something of gunfire.  I'm constantly concerned about what are our children are seeing.  And for fifteen years I have tried in this country and Canada, to present what I feel is a meaningful expression of care.  

Senator Pastore: Do you narrate it?

Fred Rogers:  I'm the host - yes.  And I do all the puppets and I write all the music and I write all the scripts.

Senator Pastore:  Well, I'm supposed to be a pretty tough guy and this is the first time I've had goose bumps for the last two days.

Fred Rogers:  Well, I'm grateful.  Not only for your goose bumps, but for your interest in - in our kind of communication.  Could I tell ya the words of one of the songs which I feel is very important?

Senator Pastore:  Yes.

Fred Rogers:  This has to do with that good feeling of control, which I feel that, that children need to know is there.  And it starts out, "What do you do with the mad that you feel?"  (And that first line came straight from a child.   I work with children - doing puppets in, in very personal communication with small groups.)

What do you do with the mad that you feel
when you feel so mad you could bite?
When the whole wide world seems oh so wrong
and nothing you do seems very right

What do you do?  Do you punch a bag?  
Do you pound some clay or some dough?
Do you round up friends for a game of tag
or see how fast you go?

It's great to be able to stomp
when you've planned a thing that's wrong
and be able to do something else instead
and think this song

I can stomp when I want to  
Can stomp when I wish
Can stomp, stomp, stomp any time
And what a good feeling to feel like this
And know that the feeling is really mine
Know that there's something deep inside
that helps us become what we can
For a girl can be some day a lady
and a boy can be some day a man

Senator Pastore:  I think it's wonderful.  I think it's wonderful.  Looks like you just earned the 20 million dollars.

I felt I wanted to take the time to carefully listen to and write out the last few minutes of it.  I'm also thinking that I might like to memorize the song's words.  Thanks for posting it up!

Marc

Back to top Go down

Post by Hobb Mon 15 Jun 2020 - 1:12

I can stomp stop when I want to  
Can stomp stop when I wish
Can stomp stop , stomp stop , stomp stop any time

Your version is a little too monstrous.affraid

In 1969 Roger's speech has a clear message for the US government involvement in Vietnam:

It's great to be able to stop
when you've planned a thing that's wrong
I can stop when I want to

If you track down the version of this speech given in the recent Fred Rogers documentary, it drops out the lines "For a girl can be some day a lady and a boy can be some day a man", presumably because they are too "genderist" confused I cannot imagine watching Tom Hanks as Fred Roger............. No
Hobb
Hobb
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Mon 15 Jun 2020 - 3:03

Thanks for the clarification! I instinctively thought he first said stop, but then thought I heard stomp, and that seemed to match with the occasional banging of the table he was doing with his hand.

I had forgotten there was a Tom Hanks film just made...

Marc

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down