R2N
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dr. John - Gris-Gris (1969)

3 posters

Go down

Dr. John - Gris-Gris (1969) Empty Dr. John - Gris-Gris (1969)

Post by Hobb Sat 20 Jun 2020 - 20:52

I'm been reading a dictionary-sized collection of music reviews from Mojo magazine (it was a free book I found at LU) and came across Dr.John. The second I heard this music it sounded familiar like Wolfman Jack or Dr. Teeth and The Electric Mayhem but with more gumbo.

https://allmanbrothersband.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=XForum&file=viewthread&tid=96949 wrote:In the late '60's, veteran New Orleans session musician and A&R man Mac Rebennack wanted more self-expression and some narcisstic fulfillment. To this end he created his character "Dr. John Creaux, the night tripper." He took the idea of a wholesale fictional artistic identity from Bob Zimmerman, and the drugs and mysticism from the Beatles, and it all got translated into New Orleans variants. Dr. John was basically a powerful Creole voodoo man with a vengeful nature.

Funky as funk and great for hot nights, the whole album has moved into my daily listening list but these are the two best tracks.

Hobb
Hobb
Admin

Back to top Go down

Dr. John - Gris-Gris (1969) Empty Re: Dr. John - Gris-Gris (1969)

Post by Hobb Sat 20 Jun 2020 - 21:00

https://www.vulture.com/2014/03/muppets-dr-teeth-electric-mayhem-greatest-hits.html

Dr. John - Gris-Gris (1969) JBM_COMP-muppet-dr-teeth
Hobb
Hobb
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Sun 21 Jun 2020 - 0:53

I've never known much more than the name Dr John over the years, and more recently came across this video.

Marc

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Sun 21 Jun 2020 - 1:20

Somewhere somehow during the 80's or 90's, I would have seen the Muppet Movie or parts of it - but I had no recollection of any of the players in Electric Mayhem or to what extent they covered popular songs. They covered some great songs and did a great job of them as well! Thanks for putting up the link to the favourite picks article with its bonus Little Help From my Friends.

Marc

Back to top Go down

Post by Reb Sun 21 Jun 2020 - 16:14

I love boogie woogie piano. There are some great preformances of just straight up piano boogie woogie and that performance was really fantastic!

I came across this video catchy song just a few moments ago.

Reb
Reb
Admin

https://roadtonowhere.forumotion.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Sun 21 Jun 2020 - 18:45

Nice bit of music - and I need to try some harmonica playing like that guy was doing!

Marc

Back to top Go down

Post by Hobb Mon 22 Jun 2020 - 16:54

Watching the 4 or 5 seasons of the 'Muppet Show' (1976-81) as an adult was an eye-opener.
The show is love-note to American music and crafts.

I learnt a bunch of old standards from the 30s and 40s mixed with plenty of pop music parodies, and a bunch of American folk songs, add in the weekly 70s guest star doing their songs - and right in the middle is Dr. Teeth's psychedelic house-band and the big orchestra that starts the whole show.

For Steph's birthday (in the pre-youtube days) I went through all the episodes recording our favorite songs onto an audio cassette. I'll think about it and try to post some of our favorite muppet songs tonight.

I like the introduction to the 'boogie-woogie duet' as a nearly extinct, dangerous playing style. I wonder if Dr. John helped fashion that intro Cool ... but the music lived up to the hype. That was some hard-driving, break-neck, hip-shaking boogie-woogie piano.
Hobb
Hobb
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down