R2N
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jim Croce - Bad Bad Leroy Brown

Go down

Jim Croce - Bad Bad Leroy Brown Empty Jim Croce - Bad Bad Leroy Brown

Post by Hobb Thu 23 Jul 2020 - 17:00

For some reason Jim Croce is part of my earliest memories. I have memories of his album (Photographs & Memories - 1972) kicking around my house, and his smiling Jamie Farr-esque face was always re-assuring. Some of his folk songs, like Leroy Brown, fit effortless into a kid's brain with their simple memorable lyrics (junkyard dogs & king kong & weapons) and they are more funk than folk. Croce feels to me like an character actor on Barney Miller and has the same primal sense of the 1970s to him.

Jim Croce - Bad Bad Leroy Brown 13654403_f520

I'm going to avoid finding out who Jim Croce, and what this song was about, was for a few more days. I owe it to Croce to at least have some idea who he was but artist's lives are often such ambiguous sadness-filled things that I just want to enjoy his music for a bit without the context. I think most artists can respect that, because they are often escaping their own lives for brief moments with their music.

Just listening to the pounding piano and 'wooo!' that starts the song and you are in a different era...

Hobb
Hobb
Admin

Back to top Go down

Jim Croce - Bad Bad Leroy Brown Empty Re: Jim Croce - Bad Bad Leroy Brown

Post by Hobb Thu 23 Jul 2020 - 17:06

spidermangreatone wrote:I used to work as a caregiver for a man that passed away from Parkinson's Disease. He was a shell of his former self according to family. Didn't talk much, smile, or laugh. Horrible disease. One morning I was taking him to the gym as we did every morning and this song came on the radio. Couldn't believe my eyes or ears. Been with this man for almost two years and NEVER heard him sing out a full tune like that. Almost as if for a moment he was back in his body and I finally got to meet who he really was. A moment I will never forget. Music has a special place in the soul!

Hobb
Hobb
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hobb Tue 28 Jul 2020 - 21:35

Jim Croce was born on January 10, 1943. In early 1973, ABC released his second album, Life and Times, featuring "Bad, Bad Leroy Brown." The single hit No. 1 on the American charts in July 1973, and then went gold. That same year, Croce and his wife relocated to San Diego, California.

On Sept. 20, 1973. Following a gig at Northwestern State University in Natchitoches, La., Croce boarded a small chartered plane to travel to his next show in Sherman, Texas....
Hobb
Hobb
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down