R2N
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Back Stretches

3 posters

Go down

Back Stretches  Empty Back Stretches

Post by Reb Mon 29 Jun 2015 - 22:55

So I guess this is a request that we try and set a little bit of time aside each day to do some back stretches.  My back is still in pretty bad shape and I just started doing some stretches.  My range of motion with my back is actually pretty bad, especially compared to where it use to be.  I imagine it will take a while before I regain more range of motion but I figure some stretches/yoga are the best ways to recover some of this.  

If you know any good back stretch routines that would be great.
Reb
Reb
Admin

https://roadtonowhere.forumotion.org

Back to top Go down

Back Stretches  Empty Re: Back Stretches

Post by Hobb Mon 29 Jun 2015 - 23:19

Sure - I'll clear some space to fit another person. I'm assuming nothing involving weights?
Hobb
Hobb
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Reb Mon 29 Jun 2015 - 23:20

If they are light weights it would be ok but I certainly am not capable of lifting much yet.
Reb
Reb
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hobb Mon 29 Jun 2015 - 23:24

Do you need a specific type of mattress?
Hobb
Hobb
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Reb Mon 29 Jun 2015 - 23:25

No I think any mattress is fine. I have been lying down on hard floors during the day at points because it feels like a relief on my back.
Reb
Reb
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funkymonk Fri 10 Jul 2015 - 11:06

I am a fellow spinal sufferer, years of martial arts and a life of poor posture from depression, I literally feel your pain. Relief is fleeting but what little help I've been able to find from stretches etc is welcome.
1. short-term "fixes" - placing hands on level surface slightly higher than hip-height, then trying to get my sternum as close to the floor as possible without bending legs.
cross arms across chest, have someone bear hug around arms from behind and lift you off the ground. Ensure someone is strong enough not to incur their own back pain.
2. routine - in bed/on floor before and after sleep, alternate hugging one knee to chest with the other extended, at least 10x each side. If you want at the end of this, touching the knee you have up to the opposite side of bed/floor while keeping shoulders square will usually give a satisfying series of pops, though I don't know if that actually helps or even hurts.
On the floor (not bed) lay on back and bring straight legs up and over head to touch feet to floor, you'll be up on your shoulders/neck. very very slowly, vertebrae by vertebrae, return to starting position.
I've also recently found using an exercise roller (term?) to be pretty helpful.
good luck, best wishes
funkymonk
funkymonk

Location : Gloomtown, aka Slagbury, aka Sludgebury, aka Shanksbury

Back to top Go down

Post by Reb Mon 13 Jul 2015 - 0:04

Thanks for the advice on back pain relief. I had never experienced a back injury like this before and it was certainly eye opening. Trying to find relief has been difficult and it appears to be a long road to recovery. It is all new territory for me so any advice is very appreciated!
Reb
Reb
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hobb Mon 13 Jul 2015 - 0:20

I discovered the 'bear hug' method through play-fighting and I have been doing it for at least a decade - and have always wondered about it. So I'm slightly stunned to see you recommend it as a real solution. Since my brother is in town for the next week I have been putting this into practice. Thanks for the the very practical tips.
Hobb
Hobb
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down