R2N
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Some recent CKLU listening...

2 posters

Go down

Some recent CKLU listening... Empty Some recent CKLU listening...

Post by Marc Fri 8 May 2020 - 19:07

Can't believe I didn't hear this one all these years...need this message often!!

Marc

Back to top Go down

Some recent CKLU listening... Empty Re: Some recent CKLU listening...

Post by Marc Fri 8 May 2020 - 19:12

Groovy.  Cool

Marc

Back to top Go down

Some recent CKLU listening... Empty During Acoustic Cafe...

Post by Marc Fri 15 May 2020 - 2:20

I've noticed that some of the songs which might really resonate with me on the drive home from work, for example, might not do the same when re-visiting them at home.  Either way, here's a few songs that I'm happy CKLU introduced me to...

Marc

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Fri 15 May 2020 - 16:15

This was another acoustic cafe song, I believe...it's a simple song for guitar or piano, I suspect.

Marc

Back to top Go down

Post by Hobb Wed 20 May 2020 - 13:38

Thanks for the nice list. I'll listen to them tonight and give some feedback.

In the meantime file this next song under "really resonate with me on the drive home from work, for example, might not do the same when re-visiting them at home" because it is an OK song 4 of 5 times, but every so often the soft chorus ("I asked Jerry, he told Terry...") really hits me.

It falls into a category I call 'urban' songs. These songs capture that weird social feeling you get in urban areas on warm summer nights.

Hobb
Hobb
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hobb Thu 21 May 2020 - 1:36

· PRINCE BUSTER - Enjoy Your Self: I saw the word CKLU and thought of "where have all the rude boys gone?", when I was posting it I looked up the lyrics and and found...

This song is a heartfelt plea for the upbeat, political sound of the 2-Tone era, when racially diverse ska bands played a fusion of English punk and Jamaican rocksteady.

Very specifically this song lyrically namechecks several songs by and members of The Specials, who were the trailblazers of the sound and style.

A “Rude boy” in this context is a performer or enthusiast of ska music, like “Walt Jabsco”, the guy in the 2-Tone Records logo…

So I was ready for ska and reggae pioneer Prince Buster's Enjoy Yourself (It's Later than You Think). What I was not expecting was that Prince Buster's song was 1965 cover of a song that had peaked at #10 in the 1950 Billboard charts, and was also covered by The Specials, the very same "English 2 Tone and ska revival band " referenced in  "where have all the rude boys gone?" :)

and, who can resist...

Hobb
Hobb
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hobb Thu 21 May 2020 - 1:46

Omer Avital - Small Time Shit

Jazz with a pop hook = Groovy! I'm going to have to pull out the big guns to match it... Gerry Rafferty's Baker Street

Katie Pruitt – "Expectations" (Live in KUTX Studio 1A)

Reminded me of 'Atomic Numbers'. Steph said the drummer looked like Torgo.

Hobb
Hobb
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hobb Thu 21 May 2020 - 1:58

Aaron Burdett -  A Couple Broken Windows

Sounded like Gordon Lightfoot to me, Steph says Tom Petty.

Josh Kumra - Stubborn Love

He does a duet with his piano, with the words and notes rolling over each other, then a falsetto like the Foals's Spanish Sahara and with the same slow building power. A second voice - is he overdubbing himself?

https://roadtonowhere.forumotion.org/t644-foals-spanish-sahara-2010

Julian Talyor Band - Carry Me Home

A nice acoustic song - but it loses a point for the album name of 'TechNoir' because that is the name of the bar in The Terminator (1984) and is not an apprioate name for an soft guitar album   Neutral

Some recent CKLU listening... Main-qimg-3bc6d6a26f8fa5484491488292bd07e1
Hobb
Hobb
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Thu 21 May 2020 - 2:23

Thanks for the feedback, and for the music you posted.  I had never heard Gerry Rafferty's Baker Street as an instrumental!  (I will admit to being partial to singing out the lyrics, and this song will, for me, always be associated with a fight scene in the film Good Will Hunting.)

For the Katie Pruitt video, it's funny Steph mentioned Torgo - at first glance of the drummer, I thought of him too.  Laughing

When listening to Where Have All the Rude Boys Gone?, I'm not sure just why...but it brought me back to this song:

Marc

Back to top Go down

Post by Hobb Thu 21 May 2020 - 12:27

Well, the only reason I know either 'rude boys' or 'flagpole sitta' is because I found them in Pitchfork.com's year-end lists....

This is how I discovered 'Baker Street'...

Hobb
Hobb
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down