R2N
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ohio / Machine Gun (The Isleys Bros. at the Bitter End, New York City, NY - 1972)

Go down

Ohio / Machine Gun (The Isleys Bros. at the Bitter End, New York City, NY - 1972) Empty Ohio / Machine Gun (The Isleys Bros. at the Bitter End, New York City, NY - 1972)

Post by Hobb Tue 2 Jun 2020 - 13:24

Cynthia McKinney posted this on her twitter account two days ago...

In the wake of 9/11 they only seemed to be two US politicans who stood up against the BushJr. Administration: Rep. Barbara Lee & Rep. Cynthia McKinney.

Lee was the only member of Congress to vote against the authorization of use of force following the September 11 attacks.

McKinney gained national attention for skeptical remarks she made following the September 11 attacks in 2001: "It is known that President Bush's father, through The Carlyle Group, had–at the time of the attacks–joint business interests with the bin Laden construction company and many defense industry holdings, the stocks of which have soared since September 11."

Lee was a hero to me in 2001 and McKinney is a free-thinking political warrior I enjoy following on twitter.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cynthia_McKinney
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbara_Lee

Hobb
Hobb
Admin

Back to top Go down

Ohio / Machine Gun (The Isleys Bros. at the Bitter End, New York City, NY - 1972) Empty Re: Ohio / Machine Gun (The Isleys Bros. at the Bitter End, New York City, NY - 1972)

Post by Hobb Tue 2 Jun 2020 - 14:12

I have a mini-essay on Neil Young's Ohio and its relationship to Skinny Puppy's Tin Omen.
https://roadtonowhere.forumotion.org/t240-skinny-puppy-tin-omen

It traces the idea of the 'tin soldier' from the folksy 1969 anti-war song "One Tin Soldier" by Canadian pop group The Original Caste and this song's use in the film Billy Jack (1973), a sub-branch of this is Neil Young's Ohio, which begins "Tin soldiers and Nixon coming, We're finally on our own..."

Canadian Neil Young wrote the lyrics to "Ohio" after seeing the photos of the Kent State massacre in Life Magazine.

"It's still hard to believe I had to write this song. It's ironic that I capitalized on the death of these American students. Probably the most important lesson ever learned at an American place of learning. David Crosby cried after this take," Young said.

Crosby said that Young calling Nixon's name out in the lyrics was “the bravest thing I ever heard.”

Author Dorian Lynskey writes in the book 33 Revolutions per Minute: "Ohio" is perhaps the most powerful topical song ever recorded: moving, memorable, and perfectly timed. "

After the double's release, it was banned from some AM radio stations because of the challenge to the Nixon Administration in the lyrics, but received airplay on underground FM stations in larger cities and college towns.

But it turned out to signify the end of the era of protest song-writing which had begun with the folk revival rather than a thrilling rebirth."

Folk died in the early 1970s and it was left for the mutant punks of the 1980s to continue doing political songs like Skinny Puppy's 'Tin Omen' which ambiguously juxtaposes 1968's Kent State and 1989's Tiananmen Square.

If someone is interested in this history I'll post it up.

Hobb
Hobb
Admin

Back to top Go down

Ohio / Machine Gun (The Isleys Bros. at the Bitter End, New York City, NY - 1972) Empty Re: Ohio / Machine Gun (The Isleys Bros. at the Bitter End, New York City, NY - 1972)

Post by Hobb Tue 2 Jun 2020 - 22:04

As Trump's police-state rampage across the US, his Secretary of State Pompeo is doing photos ops with participants of the Tiananmen Square riots at 2:30 pm, June 2nd 2020.
Hobb
Hobb
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hobb Wed 3 Jun 2020 - 16:51

https://twitter.com/Dark_Tesla/status/1267551166864461826
Hobb
Hobb
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down