R2N
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hot Town, Summer in the City

2 posters

Go down

Hot Town, Summer in the City Empty Hot Town, Summer in the City

Post by Hobb Fri 22 May 2020 - 14:15

Back of my neck feelin' dirt and gritty
Been down, isn't it a pity
Doesn't seem to be a shadow in the city.

I can type out these lyrics from memory.  This and "Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese..." were some of the first 'raps' I learnt, their the rapid vocal flow was intoxicating. I feel embarrassed about learning the McDonald's song but little regret with the Loving Spoonfuls's lyrics. Just listen to their gothic flavour....

All around people looking half-dead
Walking on the sidewalks hotter than a match head
But at night it's a different world

1966 was a different world too. In 1971, Hunter Thompson looked backward and through...
F&LinLV wrote:"Strange memories on this nervous night in Las Vegas. Five years later? Six? It seems like a lifetime, or at least a Main Era — the kind of peak that never comes again. San Francisco in the middle sixties was a very special time and place to be a part of. Maybe it meant something.

My central memory of that time seems to hang on one or five or maybe forty nights — or very early mornings— when I left the Fillmore half-crazy and, instead of going home .... being absolutely certain that no matter which way I went I would come to a place where people were just as high and wild as I was: No doubt at all about that. . . .

There was madness in any direction, at any hour. If not across the Bay, then up the Golden Gate or down 101 to Los Altos or La Honda. . . . You could strike sparks anywhere. There was a fantastic universal sense that whatever we were doing was right, that we were winning. . . .

Hot Town, Summer in the City Giphy

And that, I think, was the handle—that sense of inevitable victory over the forces of Old and Evil. Not in any mean or military sense; we didn’t need that. Our energy would simply prevail. There was no point in fighting — on our side or theirs. We had all the momentum; we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave. . . .

So now, less than five years later, you can go up on a steep hill in Las Vegas and look West, and with the right kind of eyes you can almost see the high-water mark"

Born in 1975 I was part of the ebb of that tide, my life has been lived in it's yearly receding, hearing rumours of tidal pools I sought (and sometime found) in street activism. The 70s still glow with a dark golden nostalgia to me.  Corona 2020 marks a another massive retreat of that 'Ocean of '66', but music can take us back that era

Go out and find a girl
Come-on, Come-on and dance all night
Despite the heat it'll be alright

And Abe, don't you know it's a pity
That the days can't be like the nights
In the summer....in the city....in the summer....in the city

The same thing could be said about any 60s songs, but this song will be one of personal choices.

Hobb
Hobb
Admin

Back to top Go down

Hot Town, Summer in the City Empty Re: Hot Town, Summer in the City

Post by Marc Sat 23 May 2020 - 4:36

I have Summer in the City on one of my mixed CDs.  Also on that CD, from 1968 (the year I was born) was this song:

Marc

Back to top Go down

Post by Hobb Sun 24 May 2020 - 0:19

Sat 8:10 - The heat breaks, the sun pales. 24.5 degrees inside and outside.
The sun lit the green fuse a few days ago and sprouts are shooting out all over.
But the sun is oppressive too and animals must burrow and shade during its daily peak.

The music is Ellen Allien & Apparat, a collaboration album between two German electronics musicians. I had no idea who they were till a few moments ago - but once again - German techno music has got to me.
Hobb
Hobb
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hobb Sun 24 May 2020 - 0:44

From Steph- here is two very different and wonderful guitar versions of Teardrop by Massive attack (1st relies on voice and hitting the guitar; 2nd is an instrumental).

Hobb
Hobb
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Sun 24 May 2020 - 1:41

Wow. Gorgeous versions!! In the instrumental, I see he uses harmonics, some pretty big stretches for the fingers and standard tuning, I believe. The other guy must utilize a different tuning, but it has some wicked resonance with the lowest string, and boy, can he do a great percussion with the body of his guitar. Shocked

Marc

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down